Re: Adds automatic numbering to footnotes. (issue4244064)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Adds automatic numbering to footnotes. (issue4244064)
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 11:24:46 +0100

On Mar 9, 2011, at 6:38 PM, address@hidden wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> Nice job, as usual !
>
> However, I noticed some obvious problems. You probably already know
> them.
>
> Here, the padding :
> \markup {
>  \footnote b c
>  \footnote e f
> }

This is kinda sorta fixed.

> Here, the horizontal space between markup and number :
> \markup {
>  \footnote d e
>  \footnote f g
> }

This is not really fixed and needs some expert tweaking from a font guru.

> Also : why are in-text numbers 0.75\mm higher than footnotes numbers ?
>
> To conclude, this horizontal spacing bug (3 spacing bugs in 1) :
> \markup {
>  \footnote a a \footnote a a \footnote a a
>  \footnote a a \footnote a a \footnote a a
>  \footnote a a \footnote a a \footnote a a
>  \footnote a a
> }

10 is the magic threshold for cataclysmic footnote failure.  There is currently
no sure fire way to get LilyPond to anticipate a footnote's eventual width and
to deal w/ it accordingly.

I don't think this is a prohibitive gotchya, but it is super annoying.  If
anyone knows how LaTeX deals with this, I'd be interested in hearing about it!

> Now, some suggestions :
>
> Can you create another "footnote-numbering-function" that prints "1.
> blablabla" instead of the raised numbers ? Maybe with an argument to
> define whether there should be a space after the dot.
> Optionally another that handles "[1] " notation.
> And maybe a property to change font-series and font-shape for these
> numbers (those that are in the notes). Indeed, some editors use bold "1.
> " while others use italic raised numbers.

At a certain point, it may be more useful to suggest some of these things in
the docs rather than include them in LilyPond.

For example, try:

\version "2.13.54"

\paper {
footnote-numbering-function = #(lambda (layout props int) (interpret-markup
layout props (markup #:tiny #:concat ("[" (number->string int) "]"))))
footnote-number-raise = #1.0
}

\markup {
\override #'(raise . 2) {
\footnote b c
\footnote e f \footnote q r }
}

You need a couple tweaks to make this work, and thus, it is difficult to
prepackage it w/o doing a lot of fancy footwork.

> There is often a no-break thin space between a word and its note number
> in french editions (Flammarion, Le livre de poche, etc).

I'm reading "Et que la vaste monde poursuive sa course folle" (Belfond) that
has, on page 184, the footnote:

1.  Le "rendez-vous des chasseurs."

No change of font size, big space between note & text, & the footnote is
aligned downwards.

I'll add something to account for this in the not-too-distant future.

Cheers,
Mike