Re: Map voices to channels in MIDI output

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Map voices to channels in MIDI output
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 00:19:58 -0800

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 12:35:16 -0800, Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> wrote:

Ok, pushed.  Something much like the previous output can still
be selected, just like the voice->channel mapping for reproducing
voice and staff mapping with the current midi2ly.

It generally works.

The MIDI port assignments are still being written to the output file; I don't
know if that is intended.

I see you encode dynamics as MIDI note-on-velocity.  (This is much better than
the old way of encoding dynamics as MIDI volume!)  The old encoding of dynamics
in MIDI volume is still being output, though.  I assume you want to remove
this, because with the default mapping of instrument-type to channel, two
instruments of the same type fight over the volume of that channel.

The overall change is quite big.  I combined the midi-output-related changes
since 2.13.51 into one patch at http://codereview.appspot.com/4271043/  so we
can see what needs to be documented.