Re: Map voices to channels in MIDI output

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Map voices to channels in MIDI output
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 09:28:53 +0100

"Keith OHara" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 12:35:16 -0800, Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Ok, pushed.  Something much like the previous output can still
>> be selected, just like the voice->channel mapping for reproducing
>> voice and staff mapping with the current midi2ly.
>>

> It generally works.
>
> The MIDI port assignments are still being written to the output file;
> I don't know if that is intended.
>
> I see you encode dynamics as MIDI note-on-velocity.  (This is much
> better than the old way of encoding dynamics as MIDI volume!)

Since not all instruments are percussive (like a piano is), it would
make sense to also (optionally?) encode dynamic changes during note
duration as "expression" signals.  Otherwise a crescendo on sustained
notes (like a string instrument or a wind instrument or an accordion can
deliver) will not happen.