Re: First stab at getting bar extents right. (issue 5186049)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: First stab at getting bar extents right. (issue 5186049)
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 19:56:55 +0200

On Oct 5, 2011, at 6:16 PM, address@hidden wrote:

> Reviewers: ,
>
> Message:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm trying to use my new pure-from-neighbor functions to get bar extents
> right.  Currently, barlines are able to block ledger lines from trailing
> over because of extra height added to the horizontal skylines in
> NonMusicalPaperColumn.  However, they do not block accidentals hanging
> over, and furthermore, this extra height blocks some lyrics but not
> others.
>
> The pure height of barlines should correspond to the height of
> neighboring grobs in the VerticalAlignment, allowing for lyrics to pass
> under the barlines and for accidentals to always be to the right of a
> bar.
>
> However, this patch fails on two important counts:
>
> 1) It allows lyrics to recede all the way back to the StaffStartBar (see
> span-bar-allow-span-bar.ly).
> 2) It doesn't play nicely with loose columns for some reason (see
> spacing-folded-clef-3.ly ... not nice).
>
> So, I'm a bit stuck and could use some help.  Any pointers would be much
> obliged!
>
> Cheers,
> MS

A bit more research for the non-feint-of-heart (Keith - your input would be
greatly appreciated!).

I believe that the problem with lyrics is that they are centered, which means
that they overflow to the left of note columns.  All of the rods & springs
between NonMusicalPaperColumns on the left and PaperColumns on the right are
attached to the leftmost note-head of the right PaperColumn (I think).  Thus, a
long lyric will exceed the ideal and minimum distance of springs as well as the
rods, going right up to the limit of the NonMusicalPaperColumn to the left.
I'm thinking of trying to create a rod in Staff_spacing::get_staff_spacing (or
whatever it's called...) that extends from the right edge of the
NonMusicalPaperColumn to the left-most note head of the right PaperColumn, but
I don't know if this is the right way of going about it.  Any thoughts?

Cheers,
MS