Re: source for Patchy the autobot

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: source for Patchy the autobot
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 17:01:33 +0100

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 03:38:27PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> I'll have time in early 2012 to work on Patchy in more detail,
> but there is one contribution that I can make right away.  I
> thought that patchy did a full doc build (BUILD_ALL_DOCS =
> True), but the most recent problem with my in-notes patch leads
> me to believe that she doesn't.

I've decided to use the male pronoun for Patchy, since Vivi is a
girl and I don't want people to think I have a fixation on virtual
little girls.  (as an anime and vocaloid geek, of couse I actually
_do_, but I try not to make it terribly obvious)

Anyway, Patchy doesn't do a doc build for patches because of a
combation of
1) patch handling is not in a cronjob yet (he needs more testing)
2) I don't have a fast enough computer to want to sit through a
doc rebuild for every patch

As a result, right now Patchy only does a full doc build for the
dev/staging merge.

> Do you have any intuition as to
> how Patchy may be fine tuned to catch problems in the
> reg-tests/docs?  I'd gladly spend the hour necessary to write
> that Python code!

Best thing right now is testing + error-proofing Patchy.  Code
review would help; it's the best single method of catching bugs:
http://kev.inburke.com/kevin/the-best-ways-to-find-bugs-in-your-code/
look at Patchy source, assume that everything I wrote is flawed,
and send patches (or just push fixes) for those flaws.

once Patchy is tested a bit more, I'll put him in a cronjob (so my
computer can be busy with that when I'm not there), and once he's
tested even more, I'll offload him to James.