Re: RFC: \hideNote

From: Peekay Ex
Subject: Re: RFC: \hideNote
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 15:15:55 +0000

Adam,

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Adam Spiers
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Peekay Ex <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Adam Spiers
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I noticed that we already have \hideNotes and \unHideNotes, but that
>>> is rather clumsy when you only want to hide a single note.  So I wrote
>>> a patch to add \hideNote, and as a newbie to Lilypond development I
>>> wanted to check that this was a sensible idea.  The patch is here,
>>> although I haven't tested it properly yet because I'm still getting to
>>> grips with the regression test suite:
>>>

>>> https://github.com/aspiers/lilypond/commit/125c734efa2815e358815cdd912acad81940c776
>>>
>>> It adds one sentence to the documentation which would need
>>> translating.
>>
>> I am sure other more experienced programmers will chime in but having
>> two 'similar' functions
>>
>> \hideNote
>> \hideNotes
>>
>> Is a good idea.
>>
>> Although we do have
>>
>> \time
>>
>> and
>>
>> \times
>>
>> but they do very different things.
>>
>> Also with regard to updating documentation and translations you can
>> read all about that in the Contributor's Guide.
>>
>> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/contributor/translating-the-documentation
>>
>> Essentially the translations are handled in a separate branch.
>>
>> Also you cannot just edit snippets like your commit shows, there is a
>> process for this too that needs to be followed.
>>
>> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/contributor/adding-and-editing-snippets
>
> Thanks James.  I'm a little confused regarding snippets: I was aware
> that files in Documentation/snippets are autogenerated from files in
> Documentation/snippets/new, however I assumed that because the
> autogenerated files were checked into git, that for consistency's sake
> it would be cleaner to check in the changes to those too.  Isn't that
> the case?

No. See the documentation. The py script does that all for you - but
in a way I won't pretend to understand - that is different from just
doing the same edit in two places.

> In this case, I'm only editing existing snippets, not adding new ones,
> and clearly I can't submit the edits to LSR before \hideNote has been
> implemented in Lilypond, so presumably in this case there is no need
> to interact with LSR?

Right, hence ../snippets/new/..

> Having said that, running makelsr.py revealed two useful things:
>
>  (a) I'd forgotten to update
>      Documentation/es/texidocs/creating-slurs-across-voices.texidoc
>
>  (b) running makelsr.py introduces spurious blank lines prior to
>      lines which begin
>
>        %% Translation of GIT committish: ...
>
> I've pushed a new patch to github to address (a):
>
>  https://github.com/aspiers/lilypond/commits/hideNote
>
> (b) smells like a bug in makelsr.py, can anyone confirm?
>
>> If you like, for now I can add a tracker issue for you on this and if
>> you send me a git format patch I can post this up on Rietveld (our
>> current method of code verification) for you.
>
> Please feel free to create a new issue to track this.  I guess you're
> probably OK just adding my github repo as a remote and grabbing that
> branch rather than me sending a git format patch?

No. It's easier for me (and everyone to be honest) to send a format
patch and (I) attach it to the tracker.

James