Re: Can't make doc on current master (13 Nov PM BST)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Can't make doc on current master (13 Nov PM BST)
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 18:51:58 +0000

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 07:39:33PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > It's a shame that we haven't implemented the logging system
> > accepted by GOP... 9, was it?  If we had that, it would take about
> > 30 seconds to figure out **exactly** which piece of lilypond input
> > was dying.
>
> Sounds to me like parallel build is responsible again.

But a good logging system would still tell us what was being
built.  If two threads were trying to build the same file, then we
know we need to add a lockfile or something like that.  If only
one thread was building that file and it still dies, then we know
it's just that input.

Now that I think aboud it, the parallel build thing seems very
plausible to me.  Multiple languages can be building exactly the
same snippet at the same time, and I could well imagine that this
will cause boom.

... but without a logging system, we might as well be theorizing
about the universe before the big bang.  Potentially fun, but not
likely to be useful for any practical purpose.