Re: Allows for automatic renumbering of measure numbers at volta repeats

From: Carl . D . Sorensen
Subject: Re: Allows for automatic renumbering of measure numbers at volta repeats. (issue 5440049)
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 00:04:52 +0000

Thanks for taking this on.  I sense that this is a step in the direction
of helping LilyPond really understand codas and segnos.

But the terminology is unclear for this musically unsophisticated user.
And I'm not sure I really understand how it all works.

Thanks,

Carl

http://codereview.appspot.com/5440049/diff/1/lily/timing-translator.cc
File lily/timing-translator.cc (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/5440049/diff/1/lily/timing-translator.cc#newcode172
lily/timing-translator.cc:172: "renvoiDir "
I'm not comfortable at this point with the names renvoiDir and
renvoiStyle.  What do you mean by renvoi?

The Virginia Tech online music dictionary has no entry for renvoi.  The
Dolmetsch online dictionary lists renvoi as the repeat sign to which dal
segno refers.  renvoi to me appears to be a french word that carries
very little, if any, english meaning.  But I'm not a music professional,
so perhaps I'm all wet on this one.

I would expect something more like alternativeBarNumberStyle.  And I
don't know what alternative I would propose for renvoiDir, since I don't
really grok its meaning right now.

http://codereview.appspot.com/5440049/diff/1/scm/define-context-properties.scm
File scm/define-context-properties.scm (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/5440049/diff/1/scm/define-context-properties.scm#newcode416
scm/define-context-properties.scm:416: (renvoiDir ,ly:dir? "The
direction of a volta send-back.")
What are the possibilities of directions?  Can it be either backward or
forward in time?  Is that why we need renvoiDir?

What is a "volta send-back"?

http://codereview.appspot.com/5440049/diff/1/scm/define-context-properties.scm#newcode417
scm/define-context-properties.scm:417: (renvoiStyle ,symbol? "The style
of a volta send-back.")
What are the possible styles, and where are they documented?

http://codereview.appspot.com/5440049/diff/1/scm/define-music-properties.scm
File scm/define-music-properties.scm (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/5440049/diff/1/scm/define-music-properties.scm#newcode110
scm/define-music-properties.scm:110: (last-renvoi ,ly:dir? "Is this the
last send-back for a volta.")
The property description indicates a boolean value.  But the type
indicates a direction (as in renvoi-dir.  Is this supposed to be a
boolean, or is it supposed to be a direction?

http://codereview.appspot.com/5440049/