Re: critical issues

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: critical issues
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 10:54:00 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 7:55 AM

On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 01:03:08AM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:

> We could certainly consider dropping support for OSX or windows.

That sort of token solidarity is actually counterproductive:
if you believe that non-releases lead to non-users,

yes

and you think that
non-releases for GNU/Linux may pressure GNU/Linux developers into making
OSX/Windows releases,

no

then how does a non-release for GNU/Linux, with
its corresponding result in decreasing GNU/Linux users and GNU/Linux
developers, help in recruiting GNU/Linux developers that can be
pressured into making OSX and Windows releases?

it doesn't?

Exactly.

Suppose we announce a big new shiny lilypond 2.16.  For linux and
freebsd only.  OSX and windows users can go screw themselves.

We are not announcing a big new shiny Lilypond 2.16.  We are announcing
big new shiny 2.15.xx "developer" releases one after another.  For
GNU/Linux and FreeBSD only.

Noooo. I'm happily running pretty much every 2.15 version on my Windows box. It runs fine and it's my normal music-producing environment, and also the one on which I test for bugs and get examples to add to the tracker. AFAIK the only problem is with lilypond-book, which I personally don't run on my windows machine.

OSX and Windows users _are_ second class (or handicapped) citizens for
LilyPond because the whole technology is based on GNU, and since the
developer skills needed to work with it strongly correlate with
UNIX-like systems.  The whole point of GUB is that it is a _cross_
building ennvironment that can be maintained by GNU/Linux developers for
the sake of OSX and Windows users.  The skill level for actively keeping
GUB working (rather than plug and pray) is considerable, and requires
good GNU/Linux (or at least UNIX) skills and at least contact skills
with OSX and Windows.  Without a healthy surplus of GNU/Linux-based
developers that are not already locked down with keeping up their own
projects, our OSX and Windows users can indeed, as you so flowery put
it, can go screw themselves because they can't hope to screw with
LilyPond, rather pure UNIX-based technology requiring UNIX-centric skill
sets and mind frames.

There is a _reason_ the remaining OSX and Windows based developers are
doing (definitely important) documentation and web site work.  They are
to a large degree locked out and dependent on support from surplus
GNU/Linux-based developer capacities.  We are not doing them any favors
by killing LilyPond development as a whole out of sympathy with their
plight.

Not at all. I think you know that myself and James are mainly Windows users. We also run big Ubuntu machines that support the build environment. However, we came to the development from being Windows users. Cut off that supply and I'll probably stop supporting Lily, which I would regret.

- what does this do to our ONLY documentation writers and
  reviewers (who are all windows-based)?  Will they be a) more
  motivated to work on lilypond, b) no change, or c) less
  motivated?

We are already screwing them over with GNU/Linux-only "developer
releases".  When will we stop using our Windows and OSX developers as an
excuse for not working on a stable release that would actually warrant
the effort of getting GUB working again and matched to current Windows
and OSX releases?

Not true - see above.

--
Phil Holmes