Re: Gets vertical skylines from grob stencils (issue 5626052)

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Gets vertical skylines from grob stencils (issue 5626052)
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 08:52:40 +0100

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 8:14 AM, address@hidden
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mar 1, 2012, at 1:01 AM, Janek Warchoł wrote:
>> I did a quick check of newest patchset (30) and the results look
>> great!  There are some flaws, but i'd say they're not your patch's
>> fault.  Rather, it seems that the new super-precise skylines unveil
>> imperfections in vertical spacing code.
>
> I'm interested to see what they are - send them over if you can!

Sure.  Files are big, so i'll send them in private mail.

>> The bad news is that for scores containing a lot of lyrics (like my
>> SATB pieces) compilation times are now 3-4 times longer than wiith
>> master.  For instrumental scores the situation look better, it's 1.5-2
>> times longer.  I can live with these compilation times, but others
>> probably won't like it...
>
> The precision takes a big toll.  I'm not sure the best places to speed up the
> code.  Perhaps caching the FT_Face for Pango_font objects?  I'd need help
> from others to help me spot places to speed this up.

>From what i see, the skylines are now more precise than they need to
be - every glyph has a skyline of 10 or so boxes, even if it's a
single letter! (see attached)
I think the proper solution would be to:
a) set minimal "step" size to 0.2 staffspace (or more in case of bigger objects)
b) change outlines from "stairs" to glued lines (what Joe suggested).
This would allow for even less "fragments" for each skyline.

maybe caching will help, too.

cheers,
Janek