Re: Please stop pushing to the translation branch until further notice

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Please stop pushing to the translation branch until further notice
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 12:22:48 +0100

James <address@hidden> writes:

> On 8 March 2012 11:08, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> In any case: I think you should merge (merge!) more often, master to
>> translation, translation to staging.  It does not make all that much
>> sense if translations come 2 versions later into master than they have
>> been written.  And when things go wrong, they go wrong in smaller
>> portions, and fewer stuff needs to get verified after cleaning up.
>
> Is this something 'we' could add easily to patchy? Then I could be
> doing that as part of what I am doing already?

I would not want that.  I have made it a point to make sure that Patchy
does not ever do anything except fast forwarding.  Merges are a
potentially complex operation and should be done under human control.
Only a human will know when a merge has been straightforward or not, and
how much attention to spend on its result.  Most merges will be a thing
done in a minute without thinking, but there may be some that require
more attention.  And a tool like Patchy would not know when.