Re: casual contributors (was: patch going unpushed)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: casual contributors (was: patch going unpushed)
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 23:49:24 +0000

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 11:40:43PM +0000, James wrote:

> >> Graham> We don't really have a frog meister, so nobody is taking
> >> Graham> responsibility for pushing
> >>
> >>    I have another patch waiting, that depends on the first.
>
> I've offered to shepherd this new patch.

That doesn't solve the general problem, though.

I mean, ok.  Peter is now taken care of.  James is Peter's
"mentor" in lilypond terms [1].  But what happens when the next
casual contributor comes along, and we all stand around whistling
with our hands in our back pockets?

We should have somebody who takes care of contributors without
dedicated mentors.  In mathematical/logical terms, we need a
barber who shaves everybody who does not shave themselves.
I shouldn't need to get involved when there's a new contributor,
much less a known+experienced contributor like Peter!

[1] http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.15/Documentation/contributor/mentors