Re: casual contributors (was: patch going unpushed)

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: casual contributors (was: patch going unpushed)
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 07:11:27 +0100

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 12:37 AM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 08:18:26AM +1100, Peter Chubb wrote:
>> Hi Graham,
>>
>> Graham> We don't really have a frog meister, so nobody is taking
>> Graham> responsibility for pushing
>>
>>    I have another patch waiting, that depends on the first.
>>
>> Is there supposed to be a procedure for casual contributers to follow?
>
> No.  If that sounds scary, then you have the right reaction.
>
> Or rather -- yes, there *is* a procedure.  You're supposed to show
> up, then the frog meister should contact you with any details you
> missed (such as using our git-cl).  Then you're supposed to upload
> a patch, and the frog meister should keep track of your patch and
> take care of all the details.  But since we don't have a frog
> meister, this falls down.
>
> So yes, you've been doing everything right.  We simply don't have
> anybody who is willing to do ~30 minutes of admin work per week to
> help casual contributors.

For the record, i was frog meister for some time and i have to say
that depending on quantity and skill of new contributors, frog meister
work can take significantly longer than 30 minutes a week (if you want
to give your contributors more attention than "send me a patch for
pushing").
I'm sorry that i cannot help here now; my LilyPond time is irregular
now and that doesn't make me a good candidate for frog meister.  For
example, i have an important math test on university in a week, and no
free time to prepare myself for it - i'll have to cease LilyPond
activity for several days.

no cheers :(
Janek