Re: [Lilypond-auto] Patchy email

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Patchy email
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 09:27:27 +0200

John Mandereau <address@hidden> writes:

> Il giorno mer, 18/07/2012 alle 00.52 +0200, David Kastrup ha scritto:
>> The whole purpose of staging is that changes that should not get into
>> master get _caught_ before they move into master (which is permanent).
>> If you put "fixes" on _top_ of something bad in staging, the whole mess
>> _will_ move into master the next time Patchy catches up.
>>
>> So _please_ _please_ _please_ _don't_ "fix" staging if you don't know
>> _exactly_ what you are doing.  If Patchy is deadlocked, it is deadlocked
>> in order to stop things moving into master.  The proper cure then is to
>> _remove_ staging and replace it by a version where the mistake has never
>> been made.
>>
>> _Not_ fudge around until a bunch of bad history is ready to move from
>> staging into master.
>>

> Sorry for the mess, I was initially very surprised that you rewrote
> history in staging (I didn't know it was policy, even if I approve
> afterwards the motivations you give), and I didn't get your earlier
> emails quickly enough (i.e. before Patchy pushed around 22.40 CET) not
> to add more mess.

Well, now the accumulated mess in master is final, anyway.  I have
bumped staging to match it, so nothing is blocked anymore.  I am not
really interested in checking the consistency of all that since it
consists of manually messing with the results of makelsr, and I have no
clue about that.  It is likely to work at least until the next run of
makelsr.