Re: [Lilypond-auto] Patchy email

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: [Lilypond-auto] Patchy email
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 13:14:48 +0100

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 01:58:54PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> John Mandereau <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Sorry for bearing with my move to a more disciplined developer from a
> > hybrid of pyromaniac and fireman of the build system I used to be :-P
>
> It's not really trivial to get into LilyPond development and the
> documentation is not the best.  I'd rather have people try and make
> mistakes and improve the documentation for this kind of thing than
> keeping new developers away even before they try.

Umm, John has approximately 3 times as many commits to his name as
you do.  Granted, many of them are from gitstats being counting
"committed by" intead of "author", so translation meisters get
double the number of commits.  But still, he did a ton of work on
the build system, documentation, set up the whole translations
system, etc., and certainly knows more than me about the
programming side of lilypond as well.  He's just been a bit
inactive for the past few years while doing a phd in mathematics
in Italy.

Which just serves to underline the problem with the CG.  When the
inaccuracies in the CG mislead extremely experienced lilypond
developers, there's clearly a problem.  Thankfully John will
undoubtedly fix it... but this morning we also saw problems with
another person looking at the git part of the CG, so there's still
plenty of work to do.