Re: Fwd: Using MSH Paris Nord server

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Fwd: Using MSH Paris Nord server
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 15:21:50 +0100

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 01:48:15PM +0200, John Mandereau wrote:
> From: John Mandereau <address@hidden>
> 2012/7/30 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> > Here is what I see as the required steps:
-snip steps-
> > At this point of time, it becomes feasible to sensibly test one setup
> > against the other for a typical developer.

Yes.

> However, a Gerrit setup for LilyPond alone will certainly help having
> a global eye on submitted patches, and avoid creating Google Code
> issues for patches that are not bug fixes.

I'm not convinced that this is an advantage.  I'd rather have one
central place to look for patches and their status (currently
google code, filtered by "has:Patch" and sorted based on patch
status[1]).  If "not bug fixes" patches aren't listed in the same
place as "bug fix" patches, then we'll have two websites to check
and keep up-to-date.

In short: we already have a global eye on submitted patches,
provided that people use git-cl.  If they don't use git-cl, then
it doesn't matter whether the "backend" is rietveld or gerrit; the
patch will be lost in limbo on lilypond-devel until some kind
developer steps in.

Don't get me wrong: I have nothing against switching the "backend"
from rietveld to gerrit.  I just want to keep the google code
"frontend".

[1] sorry, icky url:
http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/list?can=2&q=has:Patch&sort=patch

IMO all developers should have this bookmarked.

> > Of course, if we later find that everybody finds Gerrit too cumbersome
> > to use, or if we get serious protests against reviews being even placed
> > there, the work invested up to that point may be wasted.
>
> Wasting time setting up Gerrit was my concern, but now it's no longer.
>  I'll chime in back when I have done steps a) and b).

Ok.  I just want to emphasize that you could easily spend 20 hours
setting this up, but then have the response be "no, we prefer the
old system".

oh, logins just occurred to me.  Can gerrit let people log in with
their google accounts (IIRC there's an api for that), or would we
all need to make new accounts on the gerrit server?