Re: Syntax change proposal:

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Syntax change proposal:
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 08:13:14 +0000 (UTC)

David Kastrup <dak <at> gnu.org> writes:

> Keith OHara <k-ohara5a5a <at> oco.net> writes:
> > The pre-defined \cm is acted only in limited contexts -- the same
> > contexts where we are allowed to type decimal numbers without a leading #.
> > We would like those contexts to be even more narrow, immediately after the
> > '=' operator.
>
> I don't see why one would not want that for function arguments.  What's
> good for assigning to variables is good for assigning to function
> arguments.

I suspect that I do not want naked decimal numbers as function arguments
because they get confused with other notation.

If I make a function
  \dichrom3D { c4 d e f } 3.7
that engraves a passage so that the notes appear to float 3.7 staff-spaces
above the paper when viewed with red/cyan 3D glasses,

then if I use it on an isolated note \dichrom3D e 2.9
I get a dotted-half-note e floating 9.0 staff-spaces above the page.

Lilypond's grammar today uses  \dichrom3D e #2.9  to segregate the arguments.

I think I prefer the freedom to sloppily write { indent = 2.\mm }
to the freedom to drop the # when mixing decimal numbers with music.
Decimal numbers do not seem to mix well in LilyPond music, so I say restrict
them to where we use them: the first token after an assignment operator '='