Re: GOP2-4 - C++ and scheme indentation

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: GOP2-4 - C++ and scheme indentation
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 08:32:04 +0100

Graham Percival wrote Thursday, August 09, 2012 10:01 AM

> http://lilypond.org/~graham/gop/gop_5.html
>
> ** Proposal summary
>
> Speaking academically, scheme code style is a “solved problem”.
> Let’s pick one of the existing solutions, and let a computer deal
> with this. Humans should not waste their time, energy, and
> creativity manually adding tabs or spaces to source code.

I'm not sure I agree with this.  I've not written much Scheme,
but indenting it while writing it seems essential to me.  Without
reasonably correct indentation it's difficult to avoid problems.
It is useful to use an editor which highlights matching ( ), but
that's all I find I need.

> Scheme will be indented with a yet-to-be written
> scripts/auxiliar/fix-scheme.sh, which does the same thing as
> emacs.

This will certainly be useful to ensure uniform indentation,
which helps future comprehension.  Should be run as an
administrative task, say before a new release, rather than
as a requirement imposing yet another burden on a developer.
For example, tabs are useful while a single developer is
writing code, but a pain if entered into the code base.  The
question is, what is the best way of removing them?

> Emacs is not an answer; nobody wants to install 50 megabytes just
> to format scheme code. Especially when a standalone tool could do
> the job in probably less than 10 Kb.

+1

> Scheme will be based on:
>
> http://codereview.appspot.com/4896043/
>
> after making the fixes that Neil identified.

Seems as good a start as any.

Trevor