Re: GOP2-3 - GLISS (final)

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: GOP2-3 - GLISS (final)
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 12:06:07 +0100

On 10/08/12 02:23, David Kastrup wrote:
It would have been 3+2/8 at any rate since throwing parens into the
token syntax would have further messed up the ambiguities, and forms
like 3/2+2/5 would not likely have worked.

Could it improve matters to have instead something like,

   3:2 + 2:5

... i.e. to use a different symbol from / to separate the upper and lower values of time signature?

Then if you have something like,

   3+2/3:4 + 3+2/3:8 + 3:10

... there should be little ambiguity for the parser.

I accept it's a major breaking syntax change (although the deprecation path and conversion rules ought to be pretty simple), but could this be a case where it's worth it?

Incidentally, what's the scope/likelihood of handling something like,

   3/4.     [... or in my suggested notation, 3:4. ]

i.e. three dotted quarter notes per bar, which is the sort of thing you see fairly regularly in contemporary music (usually in the case where the time signature is of the form number-over-note-symbol).