Re: Current state of release planning.

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Current state of release planning.
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 14:16:43 +0100

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 02:48:05PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:

> Since it would be awkward (but not impossible) if 2.17.0 would be
> released before 2.16.0, any patches now entering in master will not have
> seen exposure in a development release before 2.16.0 is tentatively
> released.

Actually, there's an unforseen problem: the website can only
advertise VERSION_STABLE and VERSION_DEVEL.  STABLE is obviously
2.14.2 until 2.16.0 is out.  If we want testing for the
pre-releases (which we obviously do), then VERSION_DEVEL must be
2.15.95 (or whatever number you call it).  Ergo, no 2.17.0
releases.

Changing this would require a fair amount of hacking on the
website build process and documentation; not impossible, but not a
fun task either.