Re: Current state of release planning.

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Current state of release planning.
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 14:22:42 +0200

Le lundi 13 août 2012 à 10:55 +0200, David Kastrup a écrit :
> I haven't really tracked translations so far, so my own level of
> suitability here is pretty close to zero, modulo non-task-specific
> computer expertise (which some people deem sufficient for making me
> useful for Windows support, a system I have successfully avoided for
> decades).  In other words, I'd be happy to delegate, but we are not
> likely to have the help of patchy-staging for it.  Stuff has to be
> well-tested.

Well, the first instance of Patchy's translation branch build I put up
on Grenouille was broken (it tried to create and build a fast-forward of
master from translation), I think I fixed it (as well as the general
case of building any branch other than staging), and last build seemed
to work, I'll likely push Patchy changes on Wednesday; this periodic
build should give an additional hint about the state of translation
branch.

If I handled backporting translation updates, I would create
translation-2.16 branch on central repository on Savannah, with the
policy to allow history rewriting on that branch, I would rebase it on
stable/2.16, ask translators to work on a separate branch checked out
from stable/2.16 (but that would never get pushed except something like
dev/translator-name), apply patches from emails or cherry-pick from
dev/translator-name on translation-2.16, build this branch with
Patchy and if Patchy is successful fast-forward stable/2.16 to
translation-2.16, and repeat the process once (or if necessary twice) a
week.

> I am clueless in that area, so it will be good if you kept track of what
> was required here.

Paco has announced to be on vacation and mostly offline until Friday, so
Jean-Charles and I took this task -submitting to the TP) over from him,
to give translators roughly two weeks for submitting POs for 2.16.

>   I think we have a reasonable chance to be in the
> same room with Graham when releasing 2.16 if things go well.

In the meantime, cross fingers, and more importantly let's trim hard on
those bugs :-)

Best,
John