Re: Time to fork a guile-2 branch?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Time to fork a guile-2 branch?
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 15:54:16 +0200

Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden> writes:

> I haven't checked,

That's the rub.

> but I think the push command could also simply be:

git push origin dev/guile-2

> (i.e. simply push the currently checked out branch to the
> server(=origin) as branch dev/guile-2)

This only works for existing branches/tags.  Otherwise, git will not
know how to disambiguate the reference.

> Also, don't worry about messing up: The server repository is nothing
> special, every developer has a full copy (from the time he last
> pulled/fetched) on his harddrive. If you mess something up, any
> developer can push his repo to the server again and nothing is lost.

That's not completely accurate: people might have pulled stuff in the
mean time.  So one should avoid pushing to unexpected places.

Most importantly, don't ever use something like

git push

or

git push origin

without further qualification.  git usually pushes a whole _bunch_ of
branches.  Plain stupid.