Re: Use directory-local variables to establish some coding styles in Ema

From: Ian Hulin
Subject: Re: Use directory-local variables to establish some coding styles in Emacs (issue 6460109)
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 18:19:52 +0100

Hi David,

I thought I'd been polite in framing my questions.  Statements like
"Huh?" and "Huh?!?!?!?" come over as very rude.  If you're puzzled why
I'm asking them, just say so.

See below for specifics.

On 19/08/12 17:50, address@hidden wrote:
> On 2012/08/19 16:07:28, Ian Hulin (gmail) wrote:
>> On 2012/08/19 12:37:38, dak wrote:
>
>> > I don't get the point you are trying to make.
>
>> Sorry for being obtuse.  I'd like your patch description to say more
> and give
>> answers to some of the following questions.
>
>> Who is the target audience for this patch, LilyPond developers or end
> users
>> using emacs to write their scores? Or both?
>
> Huh?  Like everything written in the git tree, the "target audience" are
> LilyPond developers.

Then say so in your commit message.
>> Where is your new .dir-locals.el going in the git directory tree?
>
> Huh?  This is a patch to be reviewed.  It is going exactly where the
> patch says it does, in the top directory of the LilyPond repository.
>
>> Where is it going to end up after a make install run and where will it
> be
>> delivered when the binaries are built and run?
>
> Huh?!?!?!?  It has nothing to do whatsoever with "make install".  It is
> a single file sitting in the top working directory of the git tree.
Wasn't  clear from Rietveld display, my bad.

Make install moves things around from from the git tree to the places
like locations the local machine's /usr... tree.
If it's a new file, its a valid question to ask where it will end up
once a user installs LilyPond on his/her machine.
Make it clear in the commit message.

> It sets defaults for editing files with Emacs inside of the work tree
> directory hierarchy.

Say so in the commit message.
>> Is it a file users could or should be able to customize for their
> emacs
>> sessions? If it is, add some dire comment block warnings saying "Don't
> change
>> this bit".
>
> Why?  It is a file you can change if you want to, like any other file
> checked into the git repository.
>
>> Implementing coding styles for LilyPond developers is *a good thing*.
> Adding
>> some automation of those styles is also a good thng.  Well done for
> taking this
>> on, just make it a bit clearer to people not so heavily involved with
> emacs what
>> your doing and what you want to achieve.
>
> I don't understand the problem.  If someone wants a different commit
> message, I'll be happy to replace it.

Yes please, (see above).

> http://codereview.appspot.com/6460109/

Cheers,