Re: Use directory-local variables to establish some coding styles in Ema

From: dak
Subject: Re: Use directory-local variables to establish some coding styles in Emacs (issue 6460109)
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 16:50:54 +0000

On 2012/08/19 16:07:28, Ian Hulin (gmail) wrote:
On 2012/08/19 12:37:38, dak wrote:

> I don't get the point you are trying to make.

Sorry for being obtuse.  I'd like your patch description to say more
and give
answers to some of the following questions.

Who is the target audience for this patch, LilyPond developers or end
users
using emacs to write their scores? Or both?

Huh?  Like everything written in the git tree, the "target audience" are
LilyPond developers.

Where is your new .dir-locals.el going in the git directory tree?

Huh?  This is a patch to be reviewed.  It is going exactly where the
patch says it does, in the top directory of the LilyPond repository.

Where is it going to end up after a make install run and where will it
be
delivered when the binaries are built and run?

Huh?!?!?!?  It has nothing to do whatsoever with "make install".  It is
a single file sitting in the top working directory of the git tree.

It sets defaults for editing files with Emacs inside of the work tree
directory hierarchy.

Is it a file users could or should be able to customize for their
emacs
sessions? If it is, add some dire comment block warnings saying "Don't
change
this bit".

Why?  It is a file you can change if you want to, like any other file
checked into the git repository.

Implementing coding styles for LilyPond developers is *a good thing*.
Adding
some automation of those styles is also a good thng.  Well done for
taking this
on, just make it a bit clearer to people not so heavily involved with
emacs what
your doing and what you want to achieve.

I don't understand the problem.  If someone wants a different commit
message, I'll be happy to replace it.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6460109/