Re: Use directory-local variables to establish some coding styles in Ema

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Use directory-local variables to establish some coding styles in Emacs (issue 6460109)
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 23:25:07 +0200

Il giorno dom, 19/08/2012 alle 18.06 +0100, Graham Percival ha scritto:
> I think that Ian's confusion is understandable.  Files inside
> elisp/*.el are mostly not intended for developers.  At least,
> stuff like elisp/lilypond-mode.el seems to be aimed directly at
> end-users, not developers.
>

> David, please calm down.  We want to encourage people to review
> patches.  The tone of your replies to Ian is not encouraging to
> reviewers.  I agree that Ian has misunderstood a few things, but
> these should be explained politely.  The use of multiple question
> marks and exclamation marks is not polite.

Given the large number of questions and reactions such a small patch
raised, and the number of patches that need to be amended for more solid
reasons than the commit message (search for Patch-needs-_work on the
issue tracker), and given we're in a rush for 2.16 release, I'd invite
potential reviewers to sit down a few minutes, to formulate their
questions well and try to answer them.

For instance, Ian could have looked around in the source tree and read
ROADMAP file, which would have given some hint that the .dir-locals.el
was not added in elisp/, purposely because it didn't belong to "Emacs
LilyPond mode and syntax coloring".

John