Re: 2.17.1 regtests

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: 2.17.1 regtests
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 10:46:33 +0200

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 12:44 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> "address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> The regtest that worries me most is les-nereides.ly.
>>
>> There is a comment starting on line 827 of axis-group-engraver.cc from
>> Joe (vintage 2008) that describes this scenario. It's just that excess
>> spacing has always hid it.  It is now the time to tackle it head on,
>> as w/ the new skyline patch this type of scenario will come up more
>> often.
>
> You appear worried about the slur through the fingerings.  Yes, that is
> an ugly collision.  But it is "merely" a collision.  Much more worrying
> in my opinion is that the staffs in the first third of the page are
> crammed into each other so tightly that it becomes quite hard to guess
> which of the interleaved material belongs to top and which to bottom
> system.  This generally looks like a non-existent staff-staff-spacing
> only kept apart by collision avoidance.
>
> We _really_ need a smart padding strategy reducing this effect which is
> _far_ too pronounced to produce readable scores.

I definitely agree.  Actually, a while ago i have posted an idea of
how the solution might look like:
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/tsr21
and the description
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2012-03/msg00507.html
I was a bit surprised to see only moderate amount of interest.
How do you like this "area" approach?

Janek