Re: preliminary GLISS discussions

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: preliminary GLISS discussions
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 00:57:15 +0200

> On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 7:20 PM, Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Well, one simple consequence would be that one can't define music
>>> functions in a document (their definition is interpretation, their use
>>> is parsing).  The use of Scheme would be quite constrained, as reading
>>> it is parsing, evaluating it interpretation.
>>
>> Ouch.  Sound like something we seriously don't want at all.
>
> Right - this means that we seriously don't want to be a music
> interchange/storage format.

Not if we are talking about a _transparent_ format (readable by more
than humans and LilyPond itself).  If we could let LilyPond deal with
MusicXML for both input and output (which would both be basically
"untweaked"), we'd cover quite a bit of application area.  I am not
convinced that LilyPond source is not a desirable format as well, but
for something like Mutopia, we'd need to employ human crowdsourcing to
keep the archive from bitrot.