Re: Fixes position of mensural c clef (issue 6503091)

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Fixes position of mensural c clef (issue 6503091)
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 18:26:40 +0200

On 2012-09-08 08:11, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
1. reject any offers of help from contributors who do not follow the
    existing formatting.

2. educate each contributor individually, go through multiple rounds
    of each patch to adjust the formatting, etc.

3. use an automatic formatting tool.

4. combine 2 and 3: use an automatic formatting tool for most of the
    code style, but still require some additional manual formatting
    (and go through a few rounds of reviews if necessary).

I favor either 3 or 4; we are not in a position to be gratuitously
rejecting patches, and having "finicky" manual formatting will
discourage some contributors.

I fully agree.  Since we have no support for (3) yet, I will do a bit
of (2), and I really hope that Phil can bear with me :-)

Is it really such a big deal if the code formatting is not perfectly consistent in every little detail?
In particular, I would favor option

  5. (relax 2 a bit) educate each contributor individually when giving
     feedback about the patch. Don't insist on a new patch for
     formatting alone, but tell the submitter that (s)he should (i.e.
     following the RFC terminology strongly recommended, but not
     absolutely required) fix the indentation before applying.

Cheers,
Reinhold

Reinhold Kainhofer, address@hidden, http://www.kainhofer.com
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886