Re: [GLISS] basics

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [GLISS] basics
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 16:15:33 +0200

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> regarding all the GLISS-discussions, talking about topic "x" or topic
> "y" I feel not sure we're discussing the _really_ important questions
> for users, especially for beginners.
> We all outstripped the starting-difficulties and we all are quite
> familiar with the existing problems, maybe too much.
>
> Someone (was it you, David?) mentioned recently that it is only a
> small subset of all users who are participating on a mailing-list. I
> want to add that non-native english-speaking beginners will hesitate
> quite more joining an international list. More likely they will join a
> national list.
>
> Werner suggested to start a poll about topics annoying, irritating,
> hindering users.
>
> So I thought it might be an idea to start threads on national
> lists/forums about it and after same time (a week?) collect and list
> the complains, ideas, proposals.

It will take some sifting through to arrive at things that make LilyPond
and/or the user look bad "without good reason", where "good reason" is
anchored more in logic and good sense rather than constraints of our
particular implementation.

At any rate, this does not sound like a bad idea.  It is not sure that a
lot will come from it, but it is not like it would take the same amount
of time and energy as when happening on the developer list.  At least
the efforts are better distributed that way.  And it quite likely that
at least some inspiration will come about this way.