Re: For those who need new features and bug fixes...

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: For those who need new features and bug fixes...
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 13:58:58 +0100

On 2012-12-21 13:33, David Kastrup wrote:
In contrast, grace notes in typesetting are usually _not_ aligned.

Grace notes in one voice may even overlap previous moments of other instruments (See Gould, first image p.128): "This facilitates score-reading, as it prevents distorted note-spacing of a single beat"(Gould).

An appoggiatura comes _on_ the beat, with the main note following it
without additional spacing, acciaccature come _before_ the beat.  We
should really only have one NoteColumn per _main_ time (and not on grace
times), and in the case of appoggiature, it should align on the
appoggiatura itself, whereas for normal grace notes and acciaccature, it
should align on the main note.

Gould: "Grace notes are placed before the position of the beat regardless of whether they are prerformed on or before the beat."

 In either case, grace notes and main
notes should be next to each other without doing _any_ NoteColumn kind
of alignment for vertically aligning material within the grace timing.
> Visual grace alignment is really a thing that should be per-voice.  It
> may be nice to have a "Grace_alignment_engraver" which you can call in
> at higher level such as Staff optionally (to synchronize graces for
> potentially multi-voice instruments).  But by default I don't think they
> should be aligned.

Gould: "When there are two parts on one stave, align the grace notes of the two parts.
[image]
When two parts with grace notes are on separate staves, it may be more helpful visually to close up grace notes to the following measured value, regardless of vertical alignment)."

Cheers,
Reinhold

Reinhold Kainhofer, address@hidden, http://www.kainhofer.com
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886