Re: For those who need new features and bug fixes...

From: mike
Subject: Re: For those who need new features and bug fixes...
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 10:22:11 +0200

On 21 déc. 2012, at 14:01, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
>> I have two 16ish-hour flights this holiday season and I'll be filling them
>> with composition, Sudoku, and LilyPond programming.  So, this is the time to
>> send me:
>> 1) Features you need implemented.
>> 2) Bugs you need fixed.
>> 3) Things you need reviewed.
>> I'll get as many of them done as I can on the flight.
>
> The big ones for me are:
>
> 1. The completion of Janek's GSoC work on Lyrics. In particular, the feature
> where the music is spaced evenly and the lyrics are adjusted automatically to
> suit (rather than the current situation, which is essentially the opposite).
>
> 2. Allowing a text markup (especially a MetronomeMark) to have a "minimum
> measure length". This would avoid collisions, particularly where there are
> lots of multi-measure rests (e.g., orchestral parts).

Hey Kieren,

A quick note to let you know that #2 is doable via a hack.  Minimum lengths can
only work if you use spanners, but you can hijack the tempo print function for
a text spanner (and suppress the line afterwards) and then create a scheme
engraver for text spanner that uses whatever as the left bound and the next bar
line's non-musical paper column as the right bound.  Or you could just use the
existing engraver and use the last note in the measure as a bound, although
this will potentially create uneven spacing in a measure.

You'll have to manually put this TextSpanner in the topmost context and/or use
ly:side-position-interface::move-to-extremal-staff (I'd recommend the former,
as the latter is powerful but falls in the category of LilyPond black magic).
Make sure to use springs and rods and set a minimum-length - there's an example
in the docs with a hairpin or glissando or something spanner-y that does this.

That's my not-so-subtle way of blowing you off :-) Not that it's not a good
request (it is excellent and I'd use it!) but the solution is definitely within
reach for many-a-schemers on this list (especially as there is a custom
text-script engraver already in the docs somewhere). I'm gonna try to focus on
things that need changing in the C++ or in difficult Scheme.

Happy holidays!

Greetings from 30,000 feet over Waltrop,
MS