Re: Did VerticalAxisGroup default-staff-staff-spacing stop respecting pa

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Did VerticalAxisGroup default-staff-staff-spacing stop respecting padding in 2.17.10?
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2013 15:25:45 +0100

Trevor Bača <address@hidden> writes:

> \override VerticalAxisGroup #'staff-staff-spacing =
> #'((basic-distance . 0) (minimum-distance . 10) (padding . 6)
> (stretchability . 0))
>
> ... works again with the new settings so that I'm once again able to
> vertically position the time signature context exactly where I want
> it.
>
> Also, when you write that "that basic-distance, etc., take hyphens
> where you had underscores (and there are no error messages for typos
> when setting these low-level options)" I feel like I may be losing my
> mind because it looks on my end like the underscore-formatted versions
> of the options work just fine (under both 2.17.9 and 2.17.11).

They don't.

> Could this in fact be the case?

No.  But since you plaster over the whole staff-staff-spacing alist, any
previous settings in there are gone.  So LilyPond will revert to some
fallback behavior when not finding basic-distance and minimum-distance
any more, and the most likely fallback is picking 0.0.  Which is likely
what you have been mistaking for "my overrides work as intended".

> But are the hyphen-formatted versions to be preferred?

They are the only thing that has ever worked.  You can set flurble and
wurrybon instead of basic_distance and minimum_distance without a net
change, and you can remove both of those pairs entirely from the alist
without a net change.  The actual difference is that LilyPond can no
longer find entries for basic-distance and minimum-distance and just
puts in some hard-coded default.

> Perhaps as part of the increasing regularization of the syntax that's
> taking place globally?

Nope.