Re: collision beam with staff-crossing beam

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: collision beam with staff-crossing beam
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 07:31:46 +0100

On 12 févr. 2013, at 07:21, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> Folks,
>

> consider this real-life example (omitting the unimportant voices).
>
>  <<
>    \new Staff = "R" \relative c' {
>      \voiceTwo
>       d16[ b
>        \change Staff = "L" \stemUp
>        \change Staff = "R" \stemDown
>        b d b]
>    }
>
>    \new Staff = "L" \relative c' {
>      \clef "bass"
>      \voiceOne
>      g8[ s g]
>    }
>>>

> There is an ugly clash between the two beams.  Due to the cross-staff
> beam, this is sort-of expected.  However, I wonder whether this can be
> improved: Isn't it possible to make the beaming algorithm simply
> ignore cross-staff stems so that the beam gets a proper skyline?
>
> In case this is not possible, what can I do to improve the formatting?
> Note that globally increasing the distance between the staves is not a
> possible solution since this would ruin the layout of the whole piece.
>

>     Werner

All of my C++ work on LilyPond (the elimination of translate_axis, for example)
is going towards improving cases like this.  That said, this case is
particularly thorny.  To fix it, you could add an invisible text spanner above
the beam with the gs, for example.

I'd send this sort of question to -user, as people have all sorts of hacks for
this kinda thing.

Cheers,
MS