Re: collision beam with staff-crossing beam

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: collision beam with staff-crossing beam
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 09:19:33 +0100 (CET)

>> There is an ugly clash between the two beams.  Due to the
>> cross-staff beam, this is sort-of expected.  However, I wonder
>> whether this can be improved: Isn't it possible to make the beaming
>> algorithm simply ignore cross-staff stems so that the beam gets a
>> proper skyline?
>
> All of my C++ work on LilyPond (the elimination of translate_axis,
> for example) is going towards improving cases like this.

Good to hear.  Just curious: How is your stuff going to improve my
example?  I think that cross-staff beams need special handling, since
the omission of cross-staff stems is not something lilypond can
recognize by itself.  Or am I missing something?

Of course, avoiding beam-beam collisions in general would be good,
completely ignoring stems.  There are real-life examples of crossing
beams, but they are extremely rare...

> That said, this case is particularly thorny.  To fix it, you could
> add an invisible text spanner above the beam with the gs, for
> example.

Good idea, thanks!  Will try soon.

    Werner