Re: collision beam with staff-crossing beam

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: collision beam with staff-crossing beam
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 18:39:32 +0100 (CET)

[Sending to lilypond-devel also (with modifications) since I believe
 this needs improvement in the documentation.]

> What can I do to improve the formatting?  Note that globally
> increasing the distance between the staves is not a possible
> solution since this would ruin the layout of the whole piece.

After some thinking, I would like to change the `padding' for beams so
that the skyline's distance from the beam gets enlarged.  How can I do
that?

I tried

  \once \override Beam.skyline-horizontal-padding = #50

and surprisingly it does what I want in my score.  Unfortunately, I
don't understand why this is so, and in the example I've sent to the
list it has no effect.  What does this property?  What does the number
represent?  And especially, what's the used dimension?

    Werner