Re: i'm back - hopefully.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: i'm back - hopefully.
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 19:08:05 +0100

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 2:39 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> We still have a stream of skyline-related issue reports that spell
>> somewhat dubious prospects for either the release date of 2.18 or its
>> expected stability.  In the case of user space upheavals, \tuplet has
>> appeared finally in a way similar to that of the September (?)
>> discussions,
>
> \tuplet looks nice.
> Nevertheless, i still think that having arbitrary integer durations
> (like { a3 a a } ) would be a very useful feature complementary to
> \tuplet.

There are no corresponding note shapes (and tuplet groupings), 6 could
mean 1/6 or 1/2*1/3 or 1/3*1/2 and so forth and so on.  LilyPond should
be clever in its typesetting algorithms, not in its user interfaces.
That only leads to trouble.

>> \transposition is just getting a semantics change heatedly discussed
>> and possibly affecting your Midi output, depending on how you chose
>> with \transposition's previously strange semantics when further
>> transposed.
>
> That's nice.  Where should i add my comments - in the tracker or email
> thread?

It depends.  The tracker is for specific steps/issues and whether or not
to do or improve them.  The Email thread may be suitable for general
design/catering discussions.  Not all aspects even have a tracker item
or patch yet.