Re: Add the command \offset to LilyPond (issue 8647044)

From: janek . lilypond
Subject: Re: Add the command \offset to LilyPond (issue 8647044)
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 21:39:41 +0000

There's one thing that puzzles me.  Current syntax is

\offset property offset-value grob-name

I understand that grob-name is at the end because it's optional, and we
want to omit it when we're using \offset as a tweak.
However, i find this syntax awkward. Since David K's change that allowed
to use dot-separated list for specyfying grobs "together" with
properties, couldn't we process both the property and grobname as one
argument, and therefore keep the usual order?  In other words, what
about syntax like this:

\offset grob-property-path offset-value

where grob-property-path would be either Grob.property (when using
\offset as an override) or just property (when using it as a tweak)?

best,
Janek

BTW, nice comments!

https://codereview.appspot.com/8647044/diff/1/input/regression/offsets.ly
File input/regression/offsets.ly (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/8647044/diff/1/input/regression/offsets.ly#newcode11
input/regression/offsets.ly:11:
generally, i'd make the regtest shorter.

https://codereview.appspot.com/8647044/diff/1/input/regression/offsets.ly#newcode40
input/regression/offsets.ly:40: <c e g b>1-\offset #'positions #'(-2 .
2) \arpeggio
for example, one instance of arpeggio should suffice here.

https://codereview.appspot.com/8647044/diff/1/input/regression/offsets.ly#newcode50
input/regression/offsets.ly:50: \once \offset #'X-offset #0.5
DynamicText
similarly here

https://codereview.appspot.com/8647044/diff/1/input/regression/offsets.ly#newcode57
input/regression/offsets.ly:57: c-\offset #'padding #1.5 \f
ditto

https://codereview.appspot.com/8647044/diff/1/input/regression/offsets.ly#newcode102
input/regression/offsets.ly:102: \once \offset #'Y-offset #2
BreathingSign