Re: Add the command \offset to LilyPond (issue 8647044)

From: david . nalesnik
Subject: Re: Add the command \offset to LilyPond (issue 8647044)
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 12:50:47 +0000

On 2013/04/13 21:39:40, janek wrote:
There's one thing that puzzles me.  Current syntax is

\offset property offset-value grob-name

I understand that grob-name is at the end because it's optional, and
we want to
omit it when we're using \offset as a tweak.
However, i find this syntax awkward. Since David K's change that
allowed to use
dot-separated list for specyfying grobs "together" with properties,
couldn't we
process both the property and grobname as one argument, and therefore
keep the
usual order?  In other words, what about syntax like this:

\offset grob-property-path offset-value

where grob-property-path would be either Grob.property (when using
\offset as an
override) or just property (when using it as a tweak)?

Here I kept the same pattern as \alterBroken and \shape, as they have
been revised by David Kastrup.  I agree that the syntax is a little
awkward, and that it would be nice if the pattern you give were
workable.  However, IIRC, this syntax is the only one currently
feasible.  I'm not an expert here, though.

https://codereview.appspot.com/8647044/