Re: implementing roman numeral harmonic analysis?

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: implementing roman numeral harmonic analysis?
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 09:30:23 -0700 (PDT)

Janek Warchoł wrote:
> mmm, this looks impressive!
> Since this cannot be placed in LSR, maybe you'd like add
> it to a snippet repository which I've just created
> together with Urs?
> http://github.com/openlilylib/snippets
> (Don't worry about having to use git - everything can be
> done via a simple web interface, and it shouldn't be more
> difficult to use than LSR)

Hahaha, and what could be simpler to use than the LSR?
Anyway, git doesn't scare me, but posting a half-baked
snippet might.  I'll wait to hear more feedback before I
consider adding anything.

David Nalesnik wrote:
> I haven't experimented with this yet, but I wanted to
> share with you a set of functions which I've been using
> for creating analyses for theory classes I teach.  You can
> find a more recent version (not that recent!) here:
>
>  http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg69861/rN.ly

David, just so you know, the archive on gnu.org (that some
of us use) munges urls containing "@" since it tries to hide
email addresses.  See:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2013-09/msg00031.html

David's file can be found here (change "[at]" to "@"):
http://www.mail-archive.com/lilypond-user[at]gnu.org/msg69861/rN.ly

> The extension lines you talk about have been at the back
> of my mind, and I've wondered if there's a way to
> integrate Lilypond's vast capabilities for figured bass
> into this system.

Yes, hopefully someone reading this thread can comment on
that!  (not just the extender lines, but the suspension
connectors too)

> A big stumbling block of my approach here has been to
> allow for a style of input where the user need to include
> placeholders in the input

It shouldn't be too hard to combine the thoroughness of your
function with the convenient input syntax of mine.  But
before I spend any more time on this, I'd like to know if
it's a dead end with regard to the suspension connectors
mentioned above.

- Mark