Re: `opus' header field at surprising position

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: `opus' header field at surprising position
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 09:12:24 +0200

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I would expect that `opus' appears vertically before `top1'.
>>
>> I suppose that this is a consequence of having _two_ header blocks -
>> one for \book and one for \score.
>
> I agree with your analysis.  What you describe can be summarized in
> quite a simple way: \book header data should stay together, and \score
> header data should stay together, too.  So if I have an `opus' field
> in the \book header, I expect it to be placed before any \score or
> top-level \markup blocks.
>
> And in case there is no \book block, all of the \header stuff should
> be either be placed before top-level \markups (which I prefer) or
> directly before the \score blocks (which I would consider unexpected
> but can be probably justified).  However, scattering the data
> vertically is a bad thing IMHO.
>
> I'm now even more convinced that this is a bug.

It very much looks like "working as designed".  Poking exceptions into
it will only make things more confusing: at least now there is a
coherent simple and understandable explanation for the behavior.

So it's not as much a bug than a challenge: can one come up with a
coherent design that better meets naive expectations?

If not, we should just document prominently which header fields are
score-level with regard to the typesetting, which fields are
document-level, and point out what kind of combinations are a bad idea.