Re: improving our contributing tools and workflow

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: improving our contributing tools and workflow
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 11:23:08 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Janek Warchoł" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: "LilyPond Development Team" <address@hidden>; "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>; "Joseph Wakeling" <address@hidden>; "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2013 11:13 AM

> Good luck. Let me give a Graham-style warning. Don't invest any more > time > and effort initially than the amount you can discard without problem. > That's > to say - don't put months of work with the risk that the other > contributors
> won't accept the change and all that valuable work is junked.

This sounds like you're not going to participate in this.  Do i
understand correctly?  It also sounds very discouraging to me.

Janek

I don't see why you would get that impression. I will participate as usual, although noting that my summer vacation ends this weekend. I was simply reiterating something that Graham said to me on a number of occasions - don't assume that the work you do will be accepted - it's always possible that anything done on a collaborative project won't be. Patches are criticised, changed and occasionally junked, and the same can apply to proposals for changes in tools and processes - so don't become too committed and expend more work than you can afford to lose. Ever.

--
Phil Holmes