Re: improving our contributing tools and workflow

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: improving our contributing tools and workflow
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 13:52:18 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Janek Warchoł" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: "LilyPond Development Team" <address@hidden>; "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>; "Joseph Wakeling" <address@hidden>; "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2013 1:06 PM

Hi,

to make things clear: i do not intend to attack anyone personally, or
imply that anyone has bad will or malicious intentions.  I only want
to explain how the situation looks like from my point of view.

2013/9/26 Phil Holmes <address@hidden>:
Janek wrote:
2013/9/26 Phil Holmes <address@hidden>:
> Good luck.  Let me give a Graham-style warning.  Don't invest any more
> time
> and effort initially than the amount you can discard without problem.
> That's
> to say - don't put months of work with the risk that the other
> contributors
> won't accept the change and all that valuable work is junked.

This sounds like you're not going to participate in this.  Do i
understand correctly?  It also sounds very discouraging to me.
Janek

I don't see why you would get that impression.

Because your message sounds pessimistic.  It sounds like you consider
it likely that my attempt to do something good will fail.  It sounds
like you are not concerned with ensuring that this initiative suceeds
and brings benefit to all, but rather you are thinking about the
damage and problems it can bring.

I thought I made this clear - I was repeating something Graham said to me on a number of occasions. He would argue it was realistic, not pessimistic. You have to be aware of the fact that, simply by working hard on a problem does not guarantee that the effort expended will be rewarded.

Here's a direct quote from him - clearly you don't fall into the category of new contributor, but the warning still applies:

"We've had bad experiences where a helpful and enthusiastic new
contributor misunderstood the instructions, ran off and did 5 hours of
work instead of 10 minutes, and none of the main developers wanted to
take the time to deal with the results of the 5-hour work, so the
whole thing was wasted. (literally wasted, as in "the project would
have received more benefit from the 10-minute job instead of the
5-hour work")"

Check the results of the grand regression test review.

--
Phil Holmes