Re: Quarter-tone arrow notation [was: Re: improving our contributing too

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Quarter-tone arrow notation [was: Re: improving our contributing tools and workflow]
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 10:21:37 +0200

Joseph Rushton Wakeling <address@hidden> writes:

> On 26/09/13 18:38, David Kastrup wrote:
>> You commented on the issue where this patch originated as late as July:
>> <URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1278#c7>.  So
>> it's hard to argue that it was not discoverable to you.
>
> This July I got an email update from the issue, and responded.
>
>> The creation of the issue tracker was pointed out to you in a direct
>> reply by Valentin in
>> <URL:http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2010-09/msg00424.html>.
>
> I was never unaware of the _issue_, it's the code review that I was
> not involved in (and did not receive email updates from).

Since the code review was announced via the issue tracker just like the
Email update you responded to, you would have received it just the same,
or the announcement would already have been part of the issue at the
time you chose to subscribe to issue notifications.

So it seems somewhat specious to place the blame on the involved tools
or developers and complain that you were not "invited" to participate in
the review.

> There is a difference between getting auto updates on an issue and
> getting an invitation to participate or give feedback.  When I've
> submitted code to a project that attempts to resolve a user's issue,
> I've usually written to them directly asking for their input and
> involvement.

Now that we cleared up that nothing but personal service is sufficient
for soliciting your participation in issues of interest to you, can you
explain why we were having this discussion about "improving contributing
tools and workflow" in the first place?  How is this reconcilable with
your statement that you would not want to use any process that would
require manual labor from anybody else?

It's probably rather obvious, but I really have a hard time deriving
enjoyment and motivation from the contribution you are making to
LilyPond in this discussion.