LSR imports and version numbers?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: LSR imports and version numbers?
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 14:25:16 +0200

Hi,

I've seen the last LSR import do nothing but bump the version number on
a large number of files from 2.17.25 to 2.15.27.  Now that's consistent
with the current documentation on convert-ly which states:

The following options can be given:

-d,--diff-version-update

    increase the \version string only if the file has actually been
    changed. Without this option (or when any conversion has changed the
    file), the version header reflects the last considered conversion
    rule.

Now this documentation was written by myself after reverse-engineering
the code.  But frankly, it does not make sense.  If the version is not
even touched unless the file is changed, then it does not make sense to
update the version number to the last _considered_ conversion rather
than the last version actually making a difference.

_Without_ using -d, it's ok that the version header is bumped across all
conversions that will not be considered in future.  But it does not make
sense to do that when the _trigger_ for an update is an actually
happening conversion.

Can we agree on that?  Because if we can, it will mean that LSR imports
will not keep increasing version numbers higher than necessary, I think.