Re: LSR imports and version numbers?

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: LSR imports and version numbers?
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 14:19:56 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, September 28, 2013 1:36 PM

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

The bumping of version numbers is a pain for me, too - it makes it
tedious to check what makelsr has _really_ done.

I think we should have 2 alternatives: a) bump the version if the file
is updated, and not if it hasn't or b) bump to the current version
regardless. We should use a) with makelsr.

There is a question in my mind as to what a) should bump the version
to: i) current version; or ii) version that the update related to.
Simplest is probably i).

Uh, i) is what's currently happening and it's _exactly_ what causes this
annoyance.  Any file imported from the LSR (which is at 2.14 or similar)
that gets changed at all gets bumped up to current.  Since the imports
are a one-way street, we just get an increasingly larger number of files
getting bumped up to current on each import.

Ah - OK - I understand now. I'd forgotten that we always start with "old" files, rather than the most recent "updated" file. Yes, if we can make option ii) work, it would solve this problem. I'm in favour.

--
Phil Holmes