Re: LSR imports and version numbers?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: LSR imports and version numbers?
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 14:36:40 +0200

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

> The bumping of version numbers is a pain for me, too - it makes it
> tedious to check what makelsr has _really_ done.
>
> I think we should have 2 alternatives: a) bump the version if the file
> is updated, and not if it hasn't or b) bump to the current version
> regardless. We should use a) with makelsr.
>
> There is a question in my mind as to what a) should bump the version
> to: i) current version; or ii) version that the update related to.
> Simplest is probably i).

Uh, i) is what's currently happening and it's _exactly_ what causes this
annoyance.  Any file imported from the LSR (which is at 2.14 or similar)
that gets changed at all gets bumped up to current.  Since the imports
are a one-way street, we just get an increasingly larger number of files
getting bumped up to current on each import.