Re: branching

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: branching
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 23:02:25 +0800

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 04:30:32PM +0200, Mike Solomon wrote:

> (quotes from David)
>
> The basic idea behind that is not to make confrontations nicer but
> reduce the necessity for them by establishing playing fields with
> different authorities.  So that people can get work done without
> endangering the release, and I can get releases done without pissing
> people off as a prerequisite.

I agree with this idea, but I feel like I'm missing something.
How would regular git branches be insufficient for this?  Is it
simply the lack of GUB for branches?

I mean, is the problem a technical or social one?  My gut feeling
is that this is a social issue, so any technical wish-lists are a
red herring.  That said, I admit that I haven't even skimmed the
patch countdowns in the past few months, let alone read any
arguments on -devel.