Re: LILY-GIT PITA

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Re: LILY-GIT PITA
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 11:41:53 -0500

On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 10:12 AM, James <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 07/12/13 18:33, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>> I've thought of some possible fixes:
>>
>> 1) Add an "expert mode" button that then would open up a listbox that
>> would allow you to choose your branch.
>>
>> 2) Create a special, branch-unaware version of lily-git.tcl that would
>> always work on the current branch.
>>
>> 3) Create some special shell commands that will do just what you want, and
>> give them to you directly.
>>
>> At the moment, I'm leaning towards 3, as it's the least-effort way to go.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Carl

Just now seeing this (I don't think I was subscribed when Carl S.
wrote this). After my recent experience with lily-git.tcl and
submitting a patch, one thing I would request is that, if possible,
some kind of automatic line wrapping be built into its processing of
the commit message (i.e., if a line exceeds n characters, go back to
the last space prior to the nth character and replace with a line
break). This will avoid the issue of poorly wrapped lines, which both
David K and Janek have messaged me about. I don't recall that
particular point being discussed in the CG.

While it is certainly better to line break by hand, this would at
least provide some degree of a "fail safe" against what I did as an
uninformed new contributor.

Carl P.