Re: Building Lilypond documentation

From: Sven Axelsson
Subject: Re: Building Lilypond documentation
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 17:49:29 +0100

On 2 January 2014 17:10, James <address@hidden> wrote:
On 02/01/14 15:51, David Kastrup wrote:
Sven Axelsson <address@hidden> writes:

It appears as if texi2html needs word-writeable folders to work.
No, it just needs writeable folders to work.

Thus I took the simple route of running make doc (and make test) under
sudo. Is that how others does it too?
No, never.  I think that if you do

make
sudo make install

that _some_ directory is only created during make install, and thus
getting rid of it again is a more-than-once nuisance.
And considering I make doc about 3-4 times a day most days with no problems and I am not AFAIK using 'sudo', which was why I was interested in what exactly is being done here step by step.

Are you for instance doing/have done something as 'root' and then trying to run the make process as joe-user?

If I take a quick peek in my LILYPOND_GIT all my dirs are owner/group 'jlowe jlowe' than root, or any other user.

This is how I'm doing it. I have set up a virtual machine using Vagrant and my source directory is on the host machine, mounted using NFS. The default VirtualBox shared folder file system can't handle hard links, so that's the reason for the change.

Make all works just fine without sudo. Make doc fails when texi2html wants to write in the out-www folders and the various subfolders (contributors, extending and the like). Other processes have created those folders and written to them, so the issue seems only to be with texi2html.

I first thought that it may be an issue because the user that runs in the vm is not the same as the one that owns the folder on the host. But when I check the files and folders that were created, they all have the expected owner, i.e. the one that started the vm. This by the way also goes for files created by sudo on the guest.

--
Sven Axelsson