Re: License of files in Documentation/pictures and ability to distribute

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Re: License of files in Documentation/pictures and ability to distribute them unclear
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 00:18:07 -0500

On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 10:51 PM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 03, 2014 at 03:28:22PM -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
>> It's great that a lot of them have the source which they were built from
>> present, but there are some which are still missing the source. [For
>> example, logo-debian.png can (and probably should) be built directly
>> from the SVG[2] at the appropriate size (or just the SVG used).]
>
> Due to our website hosting situation, it would be awkward to build
> it directly.  As for SVG, I'm not familiar with browser and
> texinfo support.  We still have something like 50% users on
> windows; can IE display SVGs yet?  Also, can texinfo 4.13a handle
> SVGs?

SVG support in browsers is still incomplete, last I checked. IE9 has
partial support, according to Wikipedia's article on SVG. Regardless,
it's not ideal. Nor is live building practical, for the reason Graham
mentioned (it would require running a server-side script with every
image request to see if the image is available, build the image if
necessary, then serve the image). However, an alternative would be to
somehow build the SVG to PNG at the expected size(s) as part of make.
Not sure what that would take, though, or if it would add yet another
dependency to the list.

Carl P.